Director of Children's Ministry
Director of Children's Ministry
Mount Albert, Ontario , L0G 1M0
Hillside Evangelical Missionary Church, a growing ministry in Mount Albert, Ontario, is seeking a Director of Children’s Ministries with a passionate faith in Jesus Christ, competency in collaborative team leadership, and experience in Children’s Ministry. This is a part-time position requiring availability of 20 hours per week. Responsibilities include coordination of existing Children’s Ministries, development of new ministries to children, administration of our Plan to Protect policy and partnering with existing staff to teach, train and disciple the children of our church. Please be advised that only qualified applicants who are selected to proceed in the selection process will be contacted. All employment offers made are contingent upon satisfactory results of a vulnerable sector screening and reference checks. Please see full job description below.
Please send resume to:
Rev. Scott Clubine,
1 Don Rose Blvd.
Mount Albert, ON L0G 1M0
Director of Children’s Ministry
- Revision Date: January 2015
- Employment Type: Part-time (20 hours per week) on a one year contract
- Reports to: Lead Pastor
God can and does call children to salvation. His plan is so simple that children can understand and accept it. In a 2009 Barna Research Study, researchers concluded that “the odds of one sticking with faith over a lifetime are enhanced in a positive direction by spiritual activity under the age of 18”. Previous research shows that the vast majority of those who are presently following Christ came to faith in Jesus during childhood – before the age of fourteen. These are critical years; all efforts must be made to share the gospel with children.
The Director of Children’s Ministry will have a passion for and be well-trained in the area of children’s ministry. He/she must be committed to the Lord Jesus Christ and the vision and mission of Hillside Church. He/she must be in agreement with HEMC policies, procedures and doctrinal position. The individual shall supervise the progress and growth of all children’s programs (ages nursery to Grade 3 and Sunday School from nursery to grade 5) in the church.
Ministry Duties and Responsibilities
- Alongside of the Lead Pastor, establish a vision, objectives, and goals for children’s ministry at HEMC in line with HEMC’s overarching vision, mission and goals.
- Pray for the teaching staff, children, and families of Hillside.
- Coordinate and oversee all teaching to children (Sunday School, Kids Church, Awana, VBS, etc.).
- Organize a leadership team that plans events for children and comes alongside the families of Hillside to effectively guide, feed, and protect them.
- Coordinate training, ensure certification, and maintain records of all volunteers who work with children according to the Plan to Protect Program.
- Maintain necessary records for children involved in the ministries of Hillside Church, as required by the Plan to Protect.
- Plan a yearly calendar to include social events and holiday celebrations.
- Locate relevant Bible study material and submit to the Lead Pastor for approval.
- Recruit, lead, train, and equip gifted teachers in house and at regional conferences. (i.e. plan team-building/personal spiritual growth events)
- Create and keep up-to-date children’s ministry brochure/ bulletin board.
- Develop/maintain job descriptions for Sunday School teachers, Awana leaders, VBS coordinator, etc..
- Communicate events and schedules in a timely fashion through the weekly bulletin, pulpit announcements, and email and phone messages.
- Purchase, inventory, and control educational supplies.
- With team members, plan and execute creative community outreach targeting unchurched children and families.
- Research and attend semi-annual C.E. conferences for personal, spiritual, and professional growth.
- Prepare, submit, and manage an annual budget.
- Conduct a year-end evaluation of programs.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills Required
- Church Membership: Yes (or willingness to become a member)
- Experience: Ministry experience planning and leading groups.
- Licenses / Certificates / Registrations: Police Check, HEMC Plan to Protect Certification
- Spiritual Gifts: Evangelism, exhortation, faith, knowledge, teaching, administration, leadership, shepherding, discernment
- Special Requirements: Passion for teaching ministry, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills, goal setting ability.
Director of Children’s Ministry Role Definition
Bring leadership to children’s ministries by:
- Being an example of Christ’s love.
- Developing and implementing a vision and mission for Children’s Ministries.
- Being challenged in my personal walk with God.
Build a creative program to disciple children by:
- Supporting parents in the spiritual training of their children.
- Providing programs to teach children about Jesus, the stories of the Bible, and how it applies to their daily lives.
- Providing opportunities for children to live out their faith.
Be a resource by:
- Providing tools and resources for parents, children who become Christians, and ministry workers so that they are prepared and trained.
Organize and administrate the Children’s Ministries program by:
- Administrating Children’s ministry programs.
- Recruiting, supporting, and training ministry workers.
- Ensuring our volunteers and children are in a safe environment by administrating the protection policy.
Be an encourager by:
- Meeting with teachers to listen and encourage.
- Encouraging children in their walk with God.
- Encouraging parents as they are spiritually training their children.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Children's Ministries
Career ID: [ 1493 ]