Pastor of Connections & Care
Pastor of Connections & Care
Scarborough, Ontario , M1V 4Y1
Pastor of Connections & Care
The Pastor of Connections & Care is responsible for all aspects of connecting the church with our community and helping people to have a genuine sense of belonging, involvement and spiritual growth at SCBC. He/she will mobilize the church to minister to the needs of one another and out to our local community and beyond. He/she will work in collaboration with the English pastoral staff, deacons and lay leaders in a team approach to ministry, and report to the English Lead Pastor.
Unless otherwise specified, the English congregation is in view.
Connecting people by developing and coordinating the Welcome Ministry:
· Create an environment and promote a culture where different ethnicities feel welcomed and embraced in the life of the church.
· Integrate new comers into the life and ministry of SCBC.
· Recruit and train volunteers for greeters, ushers, visitation teams, welcome centre, etc., and connect people strategically in their “sweet spot” for ministry.
· Facilitate Seeker Class opportunities as the first step for people to ask questions about the faith.
· Oversee the delivery of Baptism and Membership/Discovery classes.
· Oversee the creation of communication materials for visitors.
Connecting people by developing and coordinating the Prayer Ministry:
· Promote a prayer culture so that it is a natural part of our life together.
· Develop and raise up prayer teams.
· Coordinate ministry-wide prayer using social media, prayer meetings, prayer chains, and other creative prayer initiatives.
· Facilitate prayer retreats (prayer walks, silent retreats) including teaching opportunities.
· Create and maintain an online system to gather and disseminate prayer requests.
Connecting people by developing and coordinating the Care Ministry:
· Lead a team in the development of infrastructure to ensure the existence of a solid “care environment” for the congregation.
· Recruit and train lay care givers and oversee their deployment in the congregation.
· Provide pastoral visitation of the sick and bereaved and the coordination, support and training of lay pastoral visitation teams.
· Provide grief counseling; offering worship opportunities that enable people to express grief and know God’s healing.
· Provide pastoral counsel to members during times of crisis, acting as a referral to community services as appropriate.
Connecting people through Outreach Ministry in the community and Mission:
· Collaborate with the Outreach & Mission Pastor and other pastors/lay leaders in developing a comprehensive mission strategy (local/global missions, social concern, and evangelistic initiatives).
· Oversee and develop awareness of evangelism and personal witness to the community at large (i.e. work place evangelism; school evangelism; neighbourhood evangelism).
· Develop and maintain an active presence with our local outreach partners and connect the congregation to these opportunities to reach out to our community with compassion and purpose.
· Recruit, train and empower teams/team leaders for local and global outreach opportunities.
· Provide opportunities to do missions (locally and globally).
General Pastoral Duties:
· Develop annual budgets, goals, and strategies for his/her areas of responsibility with the input of his/her ministry team(s) and provide clear communication with regards to progress, results, and obstacles to the English Lead Pastor and the English Pastoral Team.
· Participate in the leadership of Sunday worship services (e.g. - offering prayers, preaching some sermons), as assigned by the English Lead Pastor.
· Support the team of pastors by sharing leadership responsibilities for the ministry development in SCBC as a whole.
· Performing other related duties as assigned.
We understand that every applicant will also have their own personal expectations and goals. The list above is meant to be a guideline and an exercise of full disclosure of our wishes.
We would seek the following qualities in a Pastor of Connections & Care:
· The heart of a pastor with an active devotional life and a demonstrated call to the Christian Ministry. · A love for Jesus Christ and people.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution in Biblical/Theological studies, Counseling or related field. Master of Divinity an asset.
· 3+ years of experience as a successful leader in the church with proven visionary management and strategic planning capability.
· A leader of leaders with ability to develop teams and new ministries.
· Ability to motivate, train and release lay people to do ministry connecting them to their giftedness.
· A hard working, loyal, team player with a servant's heart.
· Capacity to discern and maintain strict confidentiality.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work effectively with diverse groups from different cultural backgrounds, races, ages, genders and seasons of life.
· Excellent follow-through, attention to detail, organizational and administrative skills.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to think outside the box. Proficiency in social media.
· Able to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
· Able and willing to work and live gladly within the life, culture and worship of SCBC.
Applications are being received at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Search Committee for Pastor of Connections & Care
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process please contact Philip at email@example.com
We appreciate your interest in this position, but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis. Please apply at your earliest convenience.
Applications will be kept on file confidentially for a period of time after the selection process is complete.
Misrepresentation or failure to disclose accurate information will result in your disqualification from this or any future job selection processes.
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 3080 ]