Burlington, Ontario , L7R 4W1
OVERVIEW OF THE ORGANIZATION
Crossroads Prison Ministries Canada exists to connect prisoners with volunteers in Christ-centered, mentoring relationships through mail-based correspondence so that lives, prisons and churches all around the world can be transformed through the power of the Gospel.
This position is a thirty (30) hour workweek.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for helping with the day-to-day operations of Crossroads Canada and the general administration required to smoothly run this mail-based correspondence ministry. The assistant must be comfortable working in a fast paced environment and interacting with ministry partners, donors, instructors and chaplains effectively and diplomatically.
To undertake various administrative tasks to advance the organization, ensuring that all day-to-day matters are carried out with the highest level of professionalism and integrity.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the President, the Administrative Assistant’s responsibilities include:
- Greeting guests/volunteers at the office, answering telephone and effectively dealing with inquiries.
- Preparing and processing new enrollment packages, new orders, student mailings, and communications with prison chaplains.
- Preparing and mailing weekly student certificates, including relevant books, congratulatory letters and courses.
- Processing returned mail from institutions and updating databases.
- Processing of score reports.
- Mailing of “Haven’t Heard” letters to students.
- Ensuring postage is managed and maintained to prevent delays.
- Monitoring and ordering office supplies as needed.
- Ensuring equipment contracts are signed.
- Report and manage equipment repairs, contact the landlord for repairs.
- Maintain meeting rooms, storage areas and lunchroom in good order.
Record Keeping and Preparation of Materials
- Daily updating of student information in database ensuring all institution, mentor and student profiles are up to date.
- Weekly updating of score reports and graduation information in database.
- Collecting monthly statistics and providing reports .
- Assisting in preparing materials as required.
- Undertaking research as assigned.
- Opening and distributing mail.
Building and Support of Chaplain Relationships & Publications
- Maintaining and updating information in database to ensure all institution and chaplain information is up to date.
- Respond and maintain all chaplain communications and orders.
- Monitoring and ordering Bibles and resources as needed.
- Managing and shipping of institution orders.
- Relationship building with current and potential chaplains through phone calls and visitations.
- Adheres to the organizational policies and procedures of Crossroads Canada.
- Maintains documentation and records in accordance with established procedures.
- Completes monthly service statistics.
- Participates in staff and service meetings as required.
- Participates in relevant in-service training/conferences/seminars and workshops for the purpose of professional development within service plan goals and financial limits.
- Participates in the setting and implementation of organizational and individual goals and objectives.
- Quarterly pickup of resources at Christian Reformed Church office.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- A follower of Jesus Christ who has a passion to help prisoners grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- A person who wholeheartedly subscribes to Crossroads Canada’s vision, values and goals.
- A love for Bible-based ministry in Canadian prisons.
- A person who is culturally, economically and environmentally sensitive.
Interpersonal Skills and Personal Attributes
- Understand importance of and strongly committed to confidentiality.
- Strong team member with proven ability to work collaboratively with management and staff, and others inside and outside of the organization.
- Able to prioritize, work on multiple projects and meet deadlines in a timely and efficient manner in a busy environment.
- Self-motivated, responsible, and a good self-starter.
- Consistently reliable with ability to take initiative, define problems and recommend/implement practical solutions.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions and varied work assignments.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Formal knowledge and proven ability to undertake general administration, particularly in a non-profit setting.
- Proficient in database management, use of Word, Outlook, Publisher, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Good communication and customer service skills, both oral and written, in English.
- Ability to work from Crossroads Canada’s Burlington office.
- Must have valid driver’s license and access to use of a vehicle for occasional travel.
Posted Under: Administration
Career ID: [ 4171 ]