Director of Leadership Development
Director of Leadership Development
Etobicoke, Ontario , M9W 6H3
Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec partner as a family of about 350 churches. Together we are training, equipping and caring for pastors. We are helping plant new churches and connecting them with the resources they need to thrive. We are creating experiences and opportunities for young people and their leaders to expand their love of God and love of each other. We’re telling our churches’ stories to encourage and inspire them. We are privileged to journey together with our member churches and associations as we serve Christ together.
Purpose and Scope
Headquartered in Toronto, Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ) equips churches and leaders as they engage in their mission from God in their community. Our vision is to be a family of churches, transformed by Christ, revealing God’s kingdom. The Director of Leadership Development is charged with inspiring and equipping CBOQ pastoral leaders to be Christ-focused leaders who serve His kingdom through local churches.
The Director of Leadership Development is a member of the Leadership Team and reports to the Executive Minister. She/he will give attention to empowering and enhancing the leadership capacity of pastoral leaders within CBOQ churches and ministries. The Director of Leadership Development will lead an evolving ministry within CBOQ focused on building a diverse and skilled network of pastoral leaders, through the ongoing development of resources and relationships that enable excellence. This position has accountability for a portion of the CBOQ budget and will supervise staff in the leadership development department.
1. CBOQ Vision and Identity
Champion the vision and values of CBOQ to our constituency, creating illumination and inspiration that empowers our member churches to more fully participate in our mutual mission. Included in this is inviting churches and individuals to partner financially with the mission of CBOQ.
2. Leadership development among pastoral leaders
- Enhance personal development and ministry effectiveness of pastoral leaders and ministry staff through training, coaching and consulting; facilitate and create leadership training seminars, conferences, retreats and opportunities for CBOQ pastors and leaders.
- Facilitate discussion and collaborate within the Leadership Team to develop, evaluate and refine initiatives and strategy for leadership development in CBOQ.
- Coordinate with the Director of Congregational Development an ongoing initiatives that enhance the relationship between the pastoral leader and the congregational board.
- Promote a cohort model of leadership development through ongoing cohort selection, investment and training.
- Sustain supervision amongst pastoral leaders through the training and development of pastoral supervisors and mentors, specifically as attached to the accreditation process.
- Foster an environment for ongoing identification, recruitment and development of pastoral leaders within local churches, CBOQ ministries and training institutions. Build strategic partnerships with McMaster Divinity College and other training institutions in the areas of leadership innovation, development, teaching and theory.
- Foster ongoing relationships with leadership organizations that relate to CBOQ.
- Work with the Credentials Committee in administering an intentional system of accreditation that spurs excellence among leaders, providing accountability, discipline and restoration processes related to the accreditation system.
- Work with the Ministerial Resources Committee in shared projects that foster health, growth and excellence amongst pastoral leaders.
- Keep aware of new leadership development models and resources, leadership needs and new leadership development opportunities, channeling these toward our constituency.
- Develop network of mentors and coaches to support pastors throughout the CBOQ.
- Develop and deliver transition and relocation resources for pastoral leaders and churches
- Provide support and counsel to the current CBOQ Leadership and Pastoral Training Program
- Liaise with and train as required Association Ministry Committees in their work
- Provide support to congregations in the pastoral search process and in securing interim ministry leaders.
- A mature faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to serve through the church
- Commitment to the mission, faith and core values of CBOQ
- A desire and commitment to see local Baptist congregations experience ongoing transformation by discerning and participating in the mission of God
- Will become, or is currently a member of, a local CBOQ congregation
- Preferred Master's level degree, with ministry/theological emphasis
- Demonstrated strong leadership and communication skills and experience
- Expertise and experience in leadership theory and practice, Christian leadership development and pastoral training
- Experience as an ordained pastor in a local church, with a preference for those with Canadian Baptist experience
- Networked within the Baptist and broader Christian community
- Excellent team-building and collaboration skills
- Ability to travel in the CBOQ constituency and more widely as required to represent CBOQ
- Event management experience and skills will be an asset
Qualified candidates may apply by October 13, 2017 to Melody Currier at firstname.lastname@example.org
CBOQ is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates whose training, experience, aptitudes and adaptability meet the requirements for the job will be considered. CBOQ welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted Under: Ministry - General
Career ID: [ 4370 ]