Food Services Relief Staff
Food Services Relief Staff
Red Deer, Alberta
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
This position supports the operation of the kitchen at the Red Deer location and is responsible for providing meal service for clients who are actively participating in programs and community events that may include meals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the delivery of a healthy and nutritious meal program including researching nutritional information and creating menus that fit the budget and available donations;
- Supervise cleaning of all Food Services areas to ensure health and safety standards are met;
- Maintain and be aware of food costs in the preparation of meals and that the menu plans are followed;
- Implement the procedures, standards and policies of the Environmental Health Services Guidelines regarding how food is prepared, handled, and stored;
- Provide information to the Food Services Team Lead regarding kitchen renovations or improvements and the repair, or maintenance of equipment;
- Identify problem areas and suggest methods to improve overall operations of the kitchen;
- Cover for the Food Services Team Lead when he or she is away with the day-to-day management of Food Services;
- Provide input to and assist in the implementation of program evaluation;
- In conjunction with Volunteer department, implement strategy to involve volunteers within Food Services;
- Keep a current inventory of all kitchen equipment;
- Attend meetings and training, as assigned;
- Assist in identification of program equipment and materials;
- Keep guests’ information confidential, updated and secure.
- Provide direction to volunteers in the absence of the Food Services Team Lead creating work schedules;
- Ensure staff is providing the appropriate reception, acknowledgement, and encouragement for donors, serving groups, and volunteers;
- Implement health and safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe working environment;
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Formally trained in Food Services and/or a minimum of three (3) years experience working in a commercial kitchen environment.
- Experience overseeing Volunteers in kitchen considered a strong asset
- Have a valid certificate from the Alberta Health Services Food Safe course
- Be willing to take any necessary training The Mustard Seed requires – NVCI, First Aid
- Good organizational skills are a necessity for menu planning.
- A valid driver’s license is an asset.
- Ability to resolve conflicts as they arise.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 4407 ]