Join other pastors on March 6, 2018 for the Tyndale Preaching Conference in Toronto. Keynote speaker Dr. Torrey Robinson will speak on the theme: It's All in How You Tell It. You will also enjoy preaching workshops by local pastors.
Director of Student Ministries
Director of Student Ministries
Mississauga, Ontario , L4Z 3L3
Timeline of Implementation: Spring 2018 (Full-time Position)
Heartland is a multiethnic and multigenerational church that enjoys weekly attendance of 350-400 many of whom are families. Given our demographics and location in the Region of Peel this position offers great opportunity to reach and disciple students and their families.
The Director of Student Ministries is responsible for cultivating a positive working relationship with the staff and the congregation. He/She is also the Lead Pastor’s representative to the congregation and community. This requires grace under pressure, the ability to manage multiple tasks and the willingness to joyfully embrace the vision and values of the greater church. A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills are required.
This staff position is often involved in sensitive situations and the handling of privileged information which requires discretion. He/She must maintain strict confidentiality, when dealing with these Pastoral, Deacon Board or Congregational related issues.
Caring for their own soul and leading a spiritually healthy life for others to follow is extremely important.
The Director of Student Ministries directly reports to the Associate Pastor. The Director of Student Ministries will assist the Lead Pastor and staff in the mandate to care for and lead the church family of Heartland, A Church Connected.
- A heart for God and people.
- Able to work well in a team environment.
- Gifts of leadership, teaching and administration and a willingness to develop those gifts.
- The ability to develop a thoughtful and relevant ministry that engages students.
- Must be self-starting and diligent in handling ministry responsibilities.
- A strong desire to learn and grow personally and vocationally.
B. ROLE SUMMARY
- To provide leadership and vision to the student ministries.
- To develop a philosophy of ministry that is consistent and compatible to the vision and values of the greater church.
- To shepherd the students of Heartland, A Church Connected by feeding, leading, guiding, equipping and protecting them.
- To create strategic initiatives that assists the student ministries to reach its objectives.
- To establish a balance of depth and breadth to the ministry (a balanced approach to discipleship and outreach).
- To partner with families in the nurture and development of their teens.
- To organize and position Heartland, A Church Connected to engage in its community via a variety of events and opportunities.
- To attend weekly Staff Meetings.
- To participate in our regularly scheduled Student Ministry gatherings.
- To prioritize a regular coaching meeting with the Associate Pastor.
- To be supportive and loyal of the entire pastoral team and to contribute to the health of the Student Ministry and the church family.
- To provide general pastoral assistance in helping the Lead Pastor with ministry to the entire church.
- To lead a life that is consistent both in public and private that would reflect a deep devotion to Christ in a manner that is worthy of emulation.
- To handle conflict in a biblical and harmonious manner and to promote unity within the sub-congregation and congregation at large.
- To create a safe environment for students and leaders by implementing Plan to Protect policies.
D. STUDENT MINISTRIES (Grades 6-12) – 70% of time allocation
- Plan, prepare and provide leadership to the weekly Student Ministry gatherings.
- Prepare age-appropriate teaching times for the target ministry group.
- Create a room dynamic that is Student Ministry friendly.
- Prayerfully plan and program a ministry that reaches and equips.
- Recruit, train and deploy a team of leaders who will serve on a Leadership Team.
- Work with the Worship Team to develop skill and heart as they work to lead in worship.
- Build bridges to our graduating Kidco aged students who are transitioning into student ministries.
- Organize at least one annual retreat for student ministries.
- Be available for pastoral counseling to assist teens who may want to meet outside of the formal gathering times at Heartland, A Church Connected.
- Be available on Sunday’s to connect with the students and their families.
- Elevate the visibility of the student ministry among our congregation.
- To have regular contact with the students through various means of communication.
- To work with the Associate Pastor to create and manage the annual budget to resource the Student Ministry.
- To develop small group ministry that fosters community.
- Create strategic alliances with parents to gain trust, feedback and partnership.
- Maintain an up-to-date database that will serve the Student Ministry.
- Design a ministry that supports parents in raising their children.
- Develop a leadership strategy for adults and students who work beside you in the ministry to students.
- Develop distinct and separate programming for Junior High Students (grades 6-8) and Senior High Students (grades 9-12).
E. COMMUNITY/GLOBAL OUTREACH - 15% of time allocation
- To work closely with the Mission’s Committee and the Pastor of Administration in providing direction to the Heartland, A Church Connected community and global efforts.
- Contact and arrange for missionary guest speakers with the Lead Pastor.
- Communicate regularly through the website, E-News and other creative ways to our church-family about the need to go, pray, and give for missions.
- Lead STM experiences when required.
- Research and organize ways that Heartland, A Church Connected can contribute to the community.
- Work with the Lead Pastor in semi-annual mail-drops in the targeted areas of the Region.
- Oversee Christmas at Heartland and benevolent needs when they arise.
- Develop a network of ‘partner organizations’ that can provide ‘service opportunities’ for our small group ministry.
F. SOCIAL MEDIA / WEBSITE - 15% of time allocation
- Organize and facilitate the church Facebook Site, Twitter, Instagram, and Pastor’s E-News.
- Manage church Website and App.
- Produce video content for web platforms.
- Develop a social media strategy that connects to our community.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 4924 ]