Join us for a day with Shane Claiborne. Come be inspired, challenged and refreshed as Shane invites us to explore the transforming power of downward mobility. Early Bird tickets available until January 31, 2020. Presented by Henri Nouwen Society & Tyndale Spiritual Formation Centre.
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Occupational Therapist is committed to helping people experiencing homelessness or poverty to assess their functional skills. The Occupational Therapist facilitates a change towards a sustainable lifestyle through the use of internal and external resources, if necessary. The Occupational Therapist will work closely with number of other teams in the Mustard Seed including the Resident Engagement, Property Management, and other teams as required to improve residents’ quality of life and keep them sustainably housed. The Occupational Therapist will be working within the clinical team in the Wellness Centre, and the FASD assessment team.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess and intervene to support a person’s cognitive, perceptual, motor, and psychosocial functioning;
- Provide clinical standardized and non-standardized assessments and resulting reports to referral sources;
- Deliver rehabilitation programs within the Mustard Seed community, as needed; Assist people with chronic diseases to self-manage their challenges;
- Liaise with internal and external resources, including the maintenance of existing partnerships as well as development of new ones;
- Teach clinical students during their practicum rotations;
- Advocate for client as needed both to access resources within and outside the organization, continue to update resources for staff, clients and future students;
- Provide clinical recommendations and input to FASD diagnosis clinic.
- Continue to expand and develop the occupational therapy program within the Wellness Centre
- Create frameworks for occupational therapy programs in Mustard Seed Wellness Centers across Alberta;
- Provide input into program evaluation upon request
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- MSc Occupational Therapy is an asset with at least 1-year experience
- Registered with Alberta College of Occupational Therapist
- First Aid Certificate
- Use of various functional assessment tools
- Knowledge in MS Word
- Time in excess of regular working hours may be required on occasion.
- Local travel to various Mustard Seed sites, client residencies, and external agencies will be required.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7498 ]